Darts is considered a niche sport, and although many Sportsbooks offer it, people prefer to wager on sports, like Football or Basketball. Although it isn't as popular as these gems betting on Darts is still a choice many punters make. And who doesn't love Darts? In this article, we will explain how you can place bets on sports and what your options are.
Short History of Darts
Darts is a sport where two players, put against each other, throw missiles, which are also known as “darts,” to a board placed at a certain distance in front of them. The board itself is called a “dashboard,” It's marked off in various quadrants, each worth a different amount of points. The goal of the game is to diminish the starting amount of points you get. There are also other rules like the fact that you have to “finish on the double.” Matches in Darts are split into sets and legs depending on the tournament type. This is crucial to know if you want to place bets differently than the outright type.
Popular Darts Betting Tournaments
The most popular tournament in Darts is the World Championship. It's played in December and January each year in London. Betting on the Worlds is one of the most popular types of Darts wagering. Another hot potato is the Premier League of Darts, played by the top-rated players from around the world and a few newcomers. The tournament takes place between February and May every year. These are the two most popular tournaments, but there are also others you should be aware of in case you decide to start betting on Darts.
- World Grand Prix
- World Matchplay
- Grand Slam of Darts
- UK Open
- European Championship
Types of Darts Bets
The most popular betting markets are the ones we described below:
- Match Betting is the most common type of bet, and it's when you bet which player would win the match.
- Outright betting – here you wager on the winner of a tournament, rather than a specific match.
- Player to Win their Quarter of the Draw – this type of wager is for players who think that a specific player will win some rounds, but he won't win the competition itself.
- Handicap betting is prevalent in many sports, not only Darts, and you have to play against the wager and a set handicap.
- The number of 180s in a Match – this type of bet predicts how many maximums you believe would occur during a match.
- Over/Under – there are different types of bets in this category, such as betting on the total number of sets in a match if the match will end in several sets that are over or under a specified amount.
- You wager on the match-winner, king of the Oche, him having the highest checkout, and most 180s.
- In-play markets – there are also specific in-game markets available, but their number depends on the Sportsbook you are using.
- Correct score – you bet on what the correct score at the end of the match would be.
- 9-dart finish – the so-called nine-dart finish is the highest point any player could score during a match, and it's infrequent, you could wager on a yes/no outcome if the event occurs in the game.
Best Betting Platforms for Darts Betting in the UK
Ladbrokes is one of the most popular bookmakers in the world. They have a great platform, with many betting features you can use. As a welcome bonus to new customers, they provide a £20 Free Bets bonus if you wager £5 on the Sportsbook. The offer is quite popular, and it attracts many new customers. The platform itself is easy-to-navigate and provides customers with plenty of betting features, including cash-out, live streaming, and in-play. The bookmaker is under the same company as another giant in the industry – Coral – which also offers the same range of betting options for Darts and other sports.
William Hill is a well-known bookie in the industry, and they provide many betting opportunities to their customers. Their welcome bonus consists of 2 x £15 free wagers if you bet £10 on the Sportsbook. The bookie also offers plenty of bonuses for existing customers and many sports betting opportunities for Darts and other sports alike. William Hill also has a unique mobile app you can use on Androids and iOS devices from anywhere as long as you have a stable internet connection.
Bet365 is one of the top bookies in the entire world. They have a unique platform full of betting options that suit wagering on popular and not-so-popular sports, including Darts. The bookie offers its customers a plethora of sports betting features you can take advantage of, including cash-out, edit bet, live streaming, and in-play. The odds they provide for niche sports like Darts are surprisingly competitive, and sometimes they are even the best on the betting market scene.
Paddy Power is one of the oldest and most popular bookmakers in Ireland and the UK. They are connected to another betting giant – Betfair – which also offers an incredible variety of betting markets and sports. Both platforms' prices are relatively the same and competitive compared to other bookmakers in the region.
Betfred is a popular bookie that offers a moderate amount of sports and markets to bet on, including Darts. You can sign-up to their platform and receive £30 in free bets if you wager £10. The bookmaker's best features are live betting, live streaming, and unique and attractive design.
Darts betting might not be so popular, but it's gaining speed, and many punters are making more Darts wagers every day. The tournaments available aren't as much as Football, but they are still an average amount. Other impressive bookies, you could place Darts bets on are BetVictor and 888 Sport. Our best advice would be to get familiar with the sport before betting on it and know what markets are before placing bets on them.